So, you have successfully started your massage business. Congratulations! Take stock of your supplies and you’ll soon realize that the most important piece of equipment you own is probably your massage table. It’s also the one that clients directly and intimately make contact with.
Therefore, it is critical that you take proper care of your table and employ the most hygenic techniques of cleaning your massage table. Understanding and implementing proper care will allow the table to remain in good condition for a much longer time, which reduces the frequency that you need to buy expensive new tables. Finally, keeping your table in good shape lets your clients know you take pride in your equipment, your business, and their time with you.
How Often Do You Need To Clean Your Massage Table?
Cleaning your massage bed routinely is important. Without question, it should be cleaned after each client, even if you use a sheet on top of it -- period. This will make sure you remove perspiration and smudges from the table and leave it looking clean. It can also remove bacteria and contamination that isn’t immediately visible to the naked eye. Cleaning after each client shows that you care about cleanliness and have respect for your clients (and yourself).
You may also want to give it an extra-thorough cleaning weekly, so it remains in premier condition. While cleaning, you should also give the table an inspection to make sure everything is in good, working order. For instance, make sure any bolts are tightened and the table is safe and sturdy. Taking the time to thoroughly clean your entire table will help ensure that it will be functional and attractive for years to come. During this time, you should use a disinfectant solution to get in all the nooks and crannies. This will ensure your clients are worked on in a clean, disinfected environment, which they’re sure to appreciate.
Keep in mind that the timetable for cleaning your massage table can vary, depending on how many clients you have each day. If you work somewhere and have clients continually through the day, you may need to clean your table more often than someone who only does a few sessions a week. Just make sure that you are protecting your clients by taking care of your equipment and keeping it germ free and in good condition.
What To Clean Your Massage Table With
There are no shortage of different things you can clean your massage table with to keep it looking and smelling new.
For a quick clean, you can spray the table with a mixture of soap and water. Make sure the soap is mild and non-abrasive. Then, you should wipe the solution off with a dampened paper towel and dried with another dry towel. You can use paper towels for everything if you want. Make sure to also wipe down the table and the legs. Then, make sure the table dries completely before placing another sheet on the table.
- Do NOT use any cleaners that include alcohol, chlorine, or citrus ingredients. This may cause a vinyl table to crack or bubble, thus shortening its life. Harsh chemicals will cause the table to wear and the vinyl to become damaged.
- Massage table cleaning wipes are also available. They are made specifically to use on massage tables, so they can remove lotions, sweat and oils. They are designed to leave the table looking clean and streak-free. You can use them to wipe down the table after every client. Some of these even produce calming scents, so your clients will enjoy a fresh aroma during their session. You may even be able to find antibacterial wipes for massage tables.
- When you are looking to give your table a more thorough cleaning, you can use a gentle cleaner diluted with water. This will allow you to get to all the places of the table, including the legs and underneath. When you are cleaning between clients, you may not be cleaning every portion of the table. This is why it is important to do a deep clean every week. It also gives you the opportunity to check for tears, cracks, loose parts, and for anything else that might need to be addressed.
- In addition to cleaning, if the vinyl on your table needs some help to look new again, you can purchase a vinyl restoration solution at a local store. It can help the vinyl look newer and give it a professional look again.
Maintaining your massage table is not difficult, it just takes discipline and a few minutes after each client. Coupled with a weekly thorough inspection, you can keep your table looking essentially new. This can keep your clients coming back because they know you take pride in your equipment and value them as a client. Remember: you can use various products to clean your table… but just make sure you stay away from harsh chemicals, alcohol, citrus, and chlorine. These products will damage and age your massage table prematurely, which can lead to you having to replace your table before you really need to. You want to get the most out of your equipment, so cleaning and maintaining it properly is essential.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I use vinegar to clean massage table?
- Yes, you can use vinegar since it is a gentle cleanser.
- Can I use essential oils on my massage table?
- Yes, you can add essential oils to the soap and water that you use to spray down the table after every use. Try not to use anything overpowering, as some people might be sensitive to them. Use something calming, like chamomile, so your clients will relax more during their session.
- How do I disinfect my table?
- In addition to the soap and water solution you are using, you can use mild cleansers to give the table a deeper cleaning. Remember, do not use anything with alcohol, citrus, or chlorine. But, there are natural cleaners, like Pure Green, that can safely be used. Just make sure it is diluted properly.
- What ratio should be used when making a solution with a cleaner?
- If you are using a mild cleaner, make sure to use a 4 to 1 ratio with water. This can then be used with a spray bottle for easy applications. If you are using something like simple green, dilute it using a 10 to 1 ratio with water.
- What do I use to clean a sticky vinyl massage table to bring it back to life?
- When cleaning sticky vinyl massage tables, you need to take extra time and care. You can use a degreasing cleanser that is mild. First, test it on a corner of the table to make sure it does not cause any damage (which it should not). Then, spray the table with the solution and let it sit for a few minutes to allow it to soak into the stickiness. Using a non-abrasive sponge, begin to clean the table. Then, dry the table to make sure you did not miss any spots. To get it looking new, spray it with your soap solution and wipe dry. This should take care of the stickiness and bring your table back to its former glory.
- Can I use paper towels to clean my massage table?
- Yes. These are considered to be more sanitary than regular towels. This is because they are only used once and then thrown away. Compare this to a regular towel that would be used multiple times and potential transfer germs every time they use it on the table.
Share this post